Georgetown Maine Real Estate For Sale by Carleton Realty
About Georgetown Maine
Georgetown Island lies between the mouth of the Sheepscot River and the Kennebec River on the Gulf of Maine. Home to one of Maine’s most popular beach destinations; Reed State Park. Georgetown is an island accessible by car from the mainland and includes the villages of Five Islands, Georgetown, Bay Point, Marrtown, West Georgetown and Robinhood. It is a popular tourist destination with many summer residents. Georgetown Maine Real Estate has become increasingly sought after since so much of the island’s property is in conservation.
John Parker, a fisherman from Bedfordshire, England, purchased it in 1649 from Chief Mowhotiwormet, commonly known as Chief Robinhood, for a hogshead of rum and some pumpkins.
Georgetown Maine Statistics
- Population of Georgetown Maine (2010): 1,042
- Number of Georgetown Maine Real Estate households (2010): 469
- What is the size of Georgetown Maine? A: 64.56 Square Miles
- Information taken from Census.gov
- Town of Georgetown
- Georgetown Central School
- Southern Midcoast Maine Chamber of Commerce
- Georgetown Historical Society
- Reed State Park – Enjoy this park’s long, wide sand beaches, just 13 miles from Bath.
- Robinhood Marina – The prettiest Marina in Maine!
- Five Islands Lobster Co. – Best Lobster Roll in Maine!
- There are several Georgetown Maine Real Estate properties that abut these attractions.
A Brief Early History of Georgetown
Georgetown Island lies between the mouth of the Sheepscot River and the Kennebec River on the Gulf of Maine. The Abenaki Indians called the island Erascohegan, meaning “good spear fishing”. John Parker, a fisherman from Bedfordshire, England, purchased it in 1649 from Chief Mowhotiwormet, commonly known as Chief Robinhood, for a hogshead of rum and some pumpkins. Parker built the first permanent homestead on what eventually became known as Parker‘s Island.
The Kennebec River valley was attacked and burned in 1676 during King Philip’s War, then again in 1689 at the outset of King William’s War, and was not resettled until after the 1713 Treaty of Portsmouth. The town of Newtown-on-Arrowsic was rebuilt in 1714 on the southern end of Arrowsic Island, which was incorporated in 1716 by the Massachusetts General Court as Georgetown-on-Arrowsic, named for Fort St. George. The town’s boundaries were extended to encompass Parker’s Island, Woolwich, Phippsburg and Bath (including West Bath). Abandoned during Drummer‘s War and beleaguered during the French and Indian Wars, the region resettled slowly in the 1750s until peace was assured with the fall of Quebec in 1759. Continued at http://www.georgetownme.com/ (Here you will find a brief history of the County and the Courthouse, as well as information about County government, Alan Maine Real Estate Demographics, and the agencies and the departments in our County.
In addition, there are descriptions of our towns and links to the State of Maine Web Site.)